Faculty Member, School of Health Sciences
Rena R. Jones, PhD, is an epidemiologist working with a research focus on environmental exposures and the application and validation of methodologic approaches to evaluate the environmental etiology of health risks. She completed her masters and doctoral training in epidemiology at the University at Albany, State University of New York. She spent 8 years as a Research Scientist at the New York State Department of Health’s Center for Environmental Health, where she evaluated health risks associated with a variety of environmental agents. Following her doctoral training, she pursued a postdoctoral fellowship at the National Cancer Institute.
Dr. Jones has been an Excelsior College faculty member since 2011.
- Public Health
- Environmental Health
- Scientific Writing
- Program Evaluation
- Doctor of Philosophy, Epidemiology, University at Albany
- Master of Science, Epidemiology, University at Albany
- Bachelor of Science, Biology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Awards and Recognitions
- Intramural Research Award, National Cancer Institute, 2015
- Director’s Career Development Innovation Award, National Cancer Institute, 2016
- DCEG Fellows Award for Research Excellence, 2015
- Director’s Career Development Innovation Award, National Cancer Institute, 2014
- Sallie Rosen Kaplan Fellowship for Women Scientists, National Cancer Institute, 2013
- “Impact of Geocoding Accuracy on Epidemiologic Inference”, Geospatial Interest Group of the Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, NCI, 2016
- “Chemical Mixtures in Drinking Water in Agricultural Settings: Implications for Health”, ISEE annual meeting, São Paulo, Brazil, 2015
- “Integration of Epidemiology, Exposure Science, and Environmental Science in Etiologic Research”, Yale University School of Public Health, Environmental Health Sciences Department Seminar Series, 2015
- “Prospective analysis of nitrate and disinfection byproducts in drinking water and bladder cancer incidence in the Iowa Women’s Health Study cohort,” International Society for Environmental Epidemiology annual meeting, Seattle, WA, 2014
- Jones, RR. et al. Nitrate from Drinking Water and Diet and Bladder Cancer among Postmenopausal Women in Iowa, Environmental Health Perspectives, 2016
- Jones, RR. et al. Incidence of solid tumours among pesticide applicators exposed to the organophosphate insecticide diazinon in the Agricultural Health Study: an updated analysis. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2015
- Jones, RR. et al. Farm residence and lymphohematopoietic cancers in the Iowa Women’s Health Study cohort, Environmental Research, 2014.
- Jones, RR. et al. Associations between summertime ambient pollutants and respiratory morbidity in New York City: comparison of results for ozone and PM using ambient concentrations and predicted exposures, Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, 2013.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
- International Society of Exposure Science
- America Public Health Association
- American College of Epidemiology