Faculty Member, School of Liberal Arts
Dr. Macon has taught for Excelsior College, both online and in face-to-face formats at the Sergeants Major Academy at Fort Bliss, Texas, since 2011. He lives in the desert Southwest and is active in his community. He spends his time researching, writing, and teaching.
Besides teaching, Dr. Macon has developed several courses for online delivery for Excelsior College. Primarily, he teaches graduate courses in the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies degree program as well as courses in history, military studies, and the interdisciplinary humanities. From time to time, he also serves as a thesis reader for MALS students.
Dr. Macon is a state-certified K-12 educator in Texas and New Mexico with various fields of certification, including superintendent, principal, librarian, and classroom teacher.
- Liberal Studies
- The Interdisciplinary Humanities
- Military Studies
- Chicano Studies
- Graduate Research
- Distance Education in Higher Education Contexts
- K-12 Education
- Academic Libraries
- Doctor of Philosophy, Humanities, Universidad Central De Nicaragua
- Doctor of Education, E-Learning and Educational Technology, Northcentral University
- Specialist in Education, Educational Leadership and Instruction, Northwestern State University
- Master of Arts, Humanities, California State University Dominguez Hills
- Master of Arts, History, American Public University
- Certificate of Graduate Study, Psychology, Western New Mexico University
- Bachelor of Arts, American Studies, Charter Oak State College
- Bachelor of Arts, English and Political Science, Sul Ross State University
- Texas Educator Certificate: Superintendent, Principal, Grades PK-12 Learning Resources (Librarian), Grades 6-12 English, Grades 6-12 Government, Grades EC-12 ESL, Grades EC-12 Special Education, Grades EC-12 Physical Education Grades EC-4 Generalist,
- New Mexico Educator Certificate: Administrative, Grades K-12 Library Media, Grades K-12 English Language Arts, Grades K-12 Technology, Grades K-12 Social Studies, Grades K-12 Psychology, Grades K-12 ESL, Grades K-12 Physical Education, Grades K-12 Gifted
Awards and Recognitions
- Most Outstanding Instructor of the Year in the School of Education, American Public University System.
- Course Lead Instructor (Analytical Writing for Graduate Students, Latin American Literature, African Literature, Readings in Classical Drama, Readings in Modern Drama, Introduction to Linguistics), American Public University System, 2007-Present.
- Advisory/Support Member, School of Arts and Humanities Curriculum Committee, American Public University System, 2012-Present.
- “APA Refresher,” seminar staff development facilitator, American Public University System, 2011.
- “Utilizing the Discussion Boards in Online Classes,” seminar staff development facilitator, American Public University System, 2010.
- “From Cultural English to Eloquent English,” author, Online Learning Tips, 2013.
- “Paco el Viejo Loco,” author, Excelsior Review.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies
- National Council of Teachers of English
- MERLOT (Multi-media Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching), a program of the California State University System
- New Mexico Library Association
- The eLearning Institute
- Online Learning Consortium