Faculty Member, School of Liberal Arts
Dr. Beekman joined Excelsior in 2013, having taught at a number of institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctorial level throughout his career on a range of topics, including sociology, cultural diversity, action research, change negotiation and conflict resolution in health care, among others. In addition, Dr. Beekman has chaired more than 45 doctorial committees with Capella University.
Before higher education, Dr. Beekman’s academic background includes administrative experience as an assistant superintendent for academics on the Navajo Reservation, assistant principal for a Native American High School (Boarding School) in South Dakota and principal for an Elementary/Junior High School in Indiana.
In addition, he has facilitated for the Kinsey Sex Institute, where his primary directive was to open up professionals – physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors – to their own sexuality in order to enhance their respective counseling techniques.
- Alternative/Non-Traditional Education
- Change Agents
- Creative Teaching Techniques
- Creative Writing
- Critical Thinking
- Ethics in the Workplace
- Facilitation Training
- Group Dynamics
- Leadership Enhancement
- Motivating Students Online
- Multicultural/Diversity Education
- Positive Self-Esteem Building
- School Restructuring
- Sexual Harassment
- Doctor of Philosophy, Multicultural Education, The Union Institute & University
- Master of Science, Health education, Indiana State University
- Bachelor of Science, Physical Education, Indiana State University
- Life License, Teaching Secondary Schools
- “Mind Speak: Have You Felt These Emotions Before?” author, Create Space, 2013.
- “Mind Speak 2: Storytelling,” author,Create Space, 2013.
- “Mind Speak 3: Humor & Satires,” author,Create Space, 2014.
- “Mind Speak 4: Recipes for Dialogue,” author, Create Space, 2014.
- “Positive Attitudes and Health Self-Concepts as a Prevention to Substance Abuse: A Discussion of Process,” contributing author, Schenkman Publishing, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1978.
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Educational Policy Institute (EPI)
- National Association of Scholars (NSA)
- The Center for Teaching Critical and Creative Thinking (CTCTC)
- The Health Sciences Institute (HSI)
- World Association for Online Education (WAOE)
- World Environmental Organization